TERMS OF REFERENCE:(last update 2021) – needs update -linkage to Aquadocs?
IODE Associate Information Units (AIUs) shall:
I. Be national projects, programmes, institutions or organizations, or regional or international projects, programmes, institutions or organizations (including academia) that carry out marine information management functions, and/or provide marine information services/products;
II. Be staffed by at least one marine information professional (by qualification or experience);
III. Demonstrate active digital development: online information services and products;
IV. Promote Open Access to information. In this context “Open Access” is defined as “unrestricted access and unrestricted reuse” to/of information;
V. Display a collaborative and networking ethos through:
i. Membership/partnership of professional library/information networks to enrich their own as well as the entire IODE community;
ii. Sharing expertise and experience with other AIUs, and IODE National Coordinators for Marine Information Management;
iii. Sharing information on new digital initiatives implemented within the AIU, with the IODE community;
iv. Encourage organization staff to submit to OceanExpert
VI. Receive information on, and contribute to, IODE standards and best practices related to marine information management;
VII. Be welcomed to participate in training activities, organized within the framework of the IODE OceanTeacher Global Academy programme;
VIII. Be welcomed to participate in IODE workshops and projects;
IX. Agree to display the IODE/AIU decal logo on your webpage and on marine information products developed in collaboration with IODE;
X. Agree to make available information management documentation (standards, practices, guides…) used by the AIU for the wider marine
science library and information community.
How to become AIU ?
Any marine science related project, programme, institution or organization that is willing to comply with the above-mentioned Terms of Reference can apply to join IODE as an IODE Associate Information Unit (AIU).
upload this document to OE or AD?
Information that should be provided includes:
- name and description of the national, regional or international institution, organization, project or programme, include URL;
- name of the applicant AIU (if different from (1));
- URL of web presence of the applicant AIU;
- URL of database where AIU collection holdings are recorded;
- URL of Open Access document repository;
- brief description of information services/products/digital initiatives provided by the
entity including any separate URLs;
- name and contact information of the AIU contact point(s);
(note that this name can be different from the person signing the application.
The AIU contact point will be contacted for all practical, technical and scientific
- name and contact information of the head of the applicant entity:
(Director of institution, project coordinator, etc. This may be the name of the
person signing the application);
- description of staff and skills/expertise (include IT support);
- opportunities provided to staff for professional
development (inhouse training/ external training/participation in
- metrics (e.g. number of journal subscriptions, number of
holdings, number of records in repositories and other databases etc);
- demonstrated involvement in a professional network or
partnership (e.g. active member of library network, partner
in funded collaborative project at regional, national, international level etc)
- involvement in research data management activities (e.g. RDM resources webpage or assisting with creation of a Data Management Plan (DMP))
- for projects: expected lifespan of the project and indication of plans for the archival/preservation of the information output;
- please attach letter of support from organization management;
- required capacity building, training that IODE should provide;
- information on the existing relationship with IODE (if applicable).
Applications for AIUs shall be reviewed and approved by the IODE-Management Group (by email or during IODE-MG meetings). contact details?
The Group will use APPLICATION CRITERIA documented in THIS DOCUMENT